Friday, January 10, 2020

THE MARTA'S HC PUNK TOP TEN OF ALL TIMES!

I've started listening to punk music when I was 12. I can literally say that punk has changed my life! What I most like about punk (or what it'd idyllically be eheh) is that there are no judgments and the reality is presented in all its harsh and brutal form. The only things that matter are the values and respect.
Although there are many subgenres, I personally feel bound to hardcore punk. I've always liked every punk subgenre and I do like punk 77, post-punk as well as all the bands that came before the movement and that in a certain way have inspired it, such as the Stooges, the MC5, the Velvet Underground.
But, in my opinion, hardcore punk is different. It's not only a matter of music, even if I really like its rough and fast sound, and its rhythm. In this case the key point is the mindset and attitude. “We got that attitude” said the Bad Brains in their song called “Attitude”. It's a positive mental state of mind that allows you to live and face your daily hassles as well as major problems with a new perspective, far from negativity. Positivity, energy and, of course, good attitude. To me it’s so important that within the punk scene and music there’s this kind of mentality, and I'm so happy when I see all this love, respect and fidelity to what you really are. It can really help you to stay true to yourself. No masks, no pretenses, it doesn’t matter how you look like (just think about a band like Hüsker Dü!). Stay true to yourself. This is a beautiful message. It goes straight to the core of your soul.
I've seen a few documentaries about hardcore punk but there’s no doubt that being able to see a concert and feel the energy is fundamental in order to feel this energy. I'm saying that because that’s what has occurred to me, in particular last July when I had the chance to see H2O live in London. There was magic in the air.
So, when Flavio asked me to write an article on my favorite hardcore punk albums (in no particular order), I was more than happy to "accomplish the task" hahah! BUT, I must admit that it’s really hard for me to make a top 10 since I love so many albums that I need a top 1000 (so that I could include Minor Threat, Fugazi, 7 Seconds, Terror and many other bands)!

So… let`s start… today!

GANG GREEN - "ANOTHER WASTED NIGHT" (TAANG! RECORDS, 1986)
The band, originally formed in 1980 in Massachusetts, produced this album in 1986. It had to be in my top 10 since I grew up listening to this album. Songs like "Alcohol" or the homonymous song, "Another Wasted Night", are a milestone of hardcore punk.

D.R.I. - "THRASH ZONE" (METAL BLADE RECORDS, 1989)
Although many people will agree that their best album is the previous one called "Crossover" (Metal Blade Records, 1987), in my opinion their best one is "Thrash Zone". Thrash, crossover, hardcore, thrashcore and metal are combined in a perfect mélange. This album is close to perfection. This Texan band is one of the best products of underground music. Best track of the album? "Beneath the Wheel", the second one! Without further ado, listen to them and let yourself be carried by this magnificent album!

CRO-MAGS - "THE AGE OF QUARREL" (PROFILE RECORDS, 1986) 
Have a look at these lines that make the first track of the album, "We Gotta Know":

Searchin' for the truth is just keepin' us alive
Gotta break these shackles gotta break these chains
Said the only way we'll do it is if we use our brains
”.

This album, released in 1986 by Profile Records, rocks

HÜSKER DÜ - "ZEN ARCADE" (SST RECORDS, 1984)
In Danish "Hüsker Dü?" (that means “Do you remember?") is a children's memory board game. When I was 12-13 years old, I’ve asked my dad to make a list of the best punk albums of all ages. He wrote a very long list that included this album. At first, I was so surprised that this album, the fourth of the band, had been classified as punk hardcore. It goes far beyond the mere idea of punk. If I had to define it in one word, I’d say that it’s unique. Songs like "Something I Learned Today", "Chartered Trips", "Whatever", "Pink Turns to Blue" are a true milestone of punk music.

BAD BRAINS - "ROCK FOR LIGHT" (PVC RECORDS, 1983)
This album was one of the first ones that I have bought. It’s the second album of the band and it was released in 1983. It contains great tracks such as “Attitude” ("Don't care what they may say we got that attitude/Don't care what they may do we got that attitude/Hey we got that PMA" (PMA stands for "Positive Mental Attitude")), one of the most inspiring songs even if the lyrics are made up of two-three lines. Toby Morse of H2O is a motivational speaker and he stated that this song changed his life! Another beautiful song is “Banned in DC”.

CIRCLE JERKS - "GROUP SEX" (FRONTIER RECORDS, 1980)
"Live fast die young", their message is clear. They have shown it in their first album, published in 1980, since they have enclosed in 15 minutes the pure essence of hardcore punk. What else do you need? Listen to these 14 songs and enjoy!

H2O - "NOTHING TO PROVE"  (BRIDGE 9 RECORDS, 2008)
I must admit that I’ve recently discovered them. But I literally fell in love with them. Why? Because of their attitude, music, energy, true essence. I had the chance to see them live and their concert was just magic. "Nothing to Prove" is magnificent. 10 tracks that talk about different things but there’s a common thread, that is “stay true, stay positive and follow your heart”.
The first lyrics that I’ve heard of the album were those of “What happened”, that say:

But now the biggest part is all about the image and not the art
 Fashion before passion!
 And at nights, it makes me mad that I should have to ask:
What happened to the passion?
What happened to the reason for screaming?
What happened the music and the message that I love?
What happened to the hard work?
And why does everybody look the same?
What happened the music and the message that I love?”.

It’s just perfect.

BLACK FLAG - "DAMAGED"  (SST RECORDS, 1981)
Henry Rollins’ band released their first album in 1981. And it is pure energy. "Rise Above", "TV Party", "Six Pack", "Police Story", "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie". This album is considered to be one of the best albums of all time, and there’s no doubt about it! It’s the bible of hardcore punk!

GORILLA BISCUITS - "START TODAY" (REVELATION RECORDS, 1989)
It was released in 1989 and it is considered one of the best punk hardcore albums of all times. It’s a classic. They managed to play punk hardcore by introducing a melodic line that has characterized them, together with other bands such as the Descendents (another important hardcore band that I personally love but this list is so damn short! But, trust me, listen to “Milo Goes to College” and “Everything Sucks”).

DEAD KENNEDYS - "FRESH FRUIT FOR ROTTEN VEGETABLES" (CHERRY RED RECORDS, 1980)
Another classic, this album is essential in a punk albums’ collection! Released in 1980, since the first lines of the first song, "Kill the Poor", we can feel Jello Biafra’s anger and irony! This album is bloody brilliant. But, in order to really understand it, you must contextualize it to its historic time in which it was released and to carefully read the lyrics.
I’d like to end this top ten with the lyrics of "Holiday in Cambodia", the 13th track of the album:

So, you've been to school
For a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car
Thinking you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl
Playing ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five-grand stereo
Braggin' that you know
How the niggers feel cold
And the slum's got so much soul
It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear
It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough, kid, but it's life
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't forget to pack a wife
You're a star-belly snitch
You suck like a leech
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss ass while you bitch
So you can get rich
While your boss gets richer off you
Well, you'll work harder
With a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers
Till you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake
Now you can go where the people are one
Now you can go where they get things done
What you need, my son...
Is a holiday in Cambodia
Where people are dressed in black
A holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll kiss ass or crack
Pol Pot
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll do what you're told
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Where the slums got so much soul
Pol Pot 

No comments:

Post a Comment